Thursday, April 17, 2008
2008 Community Launch: Show Me The Data
You must register at https://www.clicktoattend.com/invitation.aspx?code=126827 in order to be admitted to the building and attend.
With the release of Visual Studio 2008 and the .NET Framework 3.5 comes a dizzying array of facilities for storing, querying and presenting data. Between new features in ADO.NET’s core; LINQ; The Entity Framework; new ASP.NET Data source and data bound controls; and the new data binding models in WPF and Silverlight 2, there are now so many new data features, that it presents a bit of a crisis. How are you supposed to learn all of these new technologies, much less continue to use the older ones with mastery? The answer is to understand each of these data access and data binding technologies in the context of the others. Many common concepts exist between these models and many of them can be combined. If you learn the generalities, you'll be able to master the specifics that interest you.
With that in mind, this session will start with a quick look at ADO.NET, typed datasets, Windows Forms and ASP.NET (including ASP.NET AJAX) data binding, and the enhancements to them in Visual Studio 2008. We'll then look at LINQ to DataSets, LINQ To SQL, The Entity Framework and LINQ to Entities and see how to use them with the old binding models. We'll finish with a look at WPF, its rich data binding model and how well it translates to Silverlight 2.0.
Speaker: Andrew J. Brust
Andrew J. Brust is Chief, New Technology at twentysix New York, a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner in New York City. Andrew is lead author of Programming Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (Microsoft Press), serves as Microsoft Regional Director for New York and New Jersey, is a Visual Basic MVP and a member of Microsoft’s Business Intelligence Partner Advisory Council. Andrew is a Vice-Chairman of the New York Software Industry Association (NYSIA), a member of INETA’s Speaker Bureau and is a highly rated speaker at conferences throughout the U.S. and internationally. Often quoted in the technology industry press, Andrew has 20 years' experience programming and consulting in the Financial, Public, Small Business and Not-For-Profit sectors. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Date: Thursday, April 17, 2008
Time: Reception 6:00 PM , Program 6:30 PM
Location: Microsoft , 1290 Avenue of the Americas (the AXA building - bet. 51st/52nd Sts.) , 6th floor
Directions: B/D/F/V to 47th-50th Sts./Rockefeller Ctr
1 to 50th St./Bway
N/R/W to 49th St./7th Ave.
- · 5 NFR Launch Kits, including:
- o NFR, legal copy of Windows Server Enterprise 2008 (64-bit and 32-bit)
- o NFR copy VS 2008 Standard Edition
- o SQL 2008 CTP (64-bit and 32-bit)
- o Voucher for eval-only SQL 2008 Standard, redeemable when SQL 2008 is Generally Available
- · 2 NFR copies Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1 with Windows Live Services, including 90-day trial of Windows OneCare
- · 3 vouchers for a free 1 yr subscription to TechNet Plus Direct
- · 1 Windows Server 2008 Application Readiness Resource Kit
- · 1 SQL Server 2008 Technical Readiness Kit
- · 1 .NET Framework 3.5 Developer Resource Kit
- · 2 Copies, Virtualization For Dummies
- · MS learning Solutions 40% off Exam Vouchers