# Friday, September 26, 2003

Time Zones and Tour of Delhi

Ok, so Jack, Linda and Kathleen call me on my cell phone from New York City last night, knowing full well that India is 9.5 hours ahead of New York waking me up around 5am from my nice alcohol induced sleep. They must die.

Back in Delhi, India rocks. With very little sleep, we visited the India Gate, a memorial to the WWI soldiers, the Presidential Palace and Parliment (where the recent terrorist attacks were) and the Gandhi Samadhi (site where he was cremated), and the center of the Islam period the Qutab Minar.

After I went and spent over $1,000 on a 100% hand made rug from Kashmir. It had to be the lack of sleep since I don't even have a home to put the rug it, so Jack/Kathleen/Linda, expect a bill. I did buy 7 CDs of local music for about $10 and treated myself to a haircut and a pedicure (my first ever) since my feet for a mess from the trek for around $1, so maybe it all balances out. :)

Going out tonight with Karishma, her cousin (who leaves for London Business School tomorrow) and Magi (random trekker from the Nepal) for a night of sin-so guys I challange you to call me again...

posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 4:11:10 AM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)  #    Comments [1] Trackback
# Thursday, September 25, 2003

Magi Arrives

Magi, the random trekker from Nepal has arrived in India. She will sightsee with me tomorrow. She was a random trekker that we picked up on the trail in Nepal and had to stay the night at Base Camp due to a snowstorm.

posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 7:48:55 PM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)  #    Comments [10] Trackback

Rajasthan Rocks


The last day of our road trip brought us to Jaipur, the capital of Rajasthan. What a great place, spent the day looking at palaces, a “Wind” Palace that is designed to keep the people cool by creating a natural air-conditioning, it was built in 1799. Then the city palace and some forts to guard the city. Rajasthan still has a king, though only ceremonial. Visited the museum he set up on his residence and saw artwork and armor, including the world’s largest wheeled cannon. We ended the day with about 3 hours of shopping for artwork-Kevin and I have helped the GDP of India with our art purchases..

posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 4:22:51 AM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)  #    Comments [12] Trackback
# Wednesday, September 24, 2003

McAloo and the Taj Mahal


Kevin and I kidnapped Karishma, dragged her kicking and screaming out of Microsoft and took a 3-day road trip on the Indian “Golden Triangle” down to Agra (Taj Mahal) and Jaipur (lots of Palaces).  At the Taj, it cost Karishma about 50 cents to get in (being an Indian) and for us "white people" Kevin and I cost about $15 each. So we took turns at the rest of the attractions pretending to me married to her. :) Turns out that there was suppose to be a second Taj, all back for the king, but he was arrested before he could build it by his cheapie son.


Driving in India is a trip: mass chaos, oncoming traffic, dust, people, bikes, cows, scooters, and more mass chaos. Plus they drive on the "wrong" side of the road, which really dosen't matter since the concept of a lane has not made it to India yet. They actually have a road sign that says "Please drive on the correct side of the road."


We stopped at a tin ruf, mud floor roadside café and it rocked the house, the three of us ate for about $1-and it was the best Indian meal I ever had. Along the way we also stopped at a McDonalds just to see the 100% vegetarian menu and I had a "McAloo" (or potato patty with super cool spices) that was an experience.  

posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 2:48:31 PM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)  #    Comments [12] Trackback
# Monday, September 22, 2003

Hari Krishna and a Traditional Indian Dinner

I am sitting in the Microsoft Office in Delhi, India after a great afternoon and evening yesterday. Kevin and I landed in Delhi and Karishma took us to the the Lotus Temple and the ISKCON (International Society of Krishna Consciences) Temple while a Puja was going on. The people at the Puja was so inviting and the Hari Krishna singing and dancing was totally awesome. A truely unique experience.

After that we went to Karishma's Aunt and Uncle's house and had a typical Indian meal and stayed up late talking and catching up. Oh boy did I eat well!



posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 4:04:57 AM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)  #    Comments [13] Trackback
# Sunday, September 21, 2003

Well the Maoists and 3-day general strike is over but it left Kathmandu a mess. At least two bombs went off yesterday and power was lost several times. The Army was all around the city all day today. Garbage and such is everywhere.

Well the trek to Everest was not as dangerous as the Maoists in Kathmandu, except for a sivere sunburn and about 22 pound weight loss I am fine. No altitude sickness (only went under 19,000') and no "runs" or anything like that. I did accidentally delete all the messages in my inbox, so I have no idea who sent me email when I was away. Oh well, ORCSweb Team to the rescue (Like always)!

Off to India, more on the trip soon!

posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 5:43:53 AM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)  #    Comments [24] Trackback
# Saturday, September 20, 2003

After 21 days of hiking in the fresh air without hearing any automobiles or seeing any paved roads, phones, electricity and all work was done by human power or animal power, it was kind of strange getting back to the busy city of Kathmandu today to witness a 3-day general strike. 2.2 million people live here but a general strike because of the Maoist rebellion has reduced the city to a standstill, no cars, and sometimes even no power.

Soon I will be reunited with my laptop and have a high-speed connection in India, move news to come...

posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 8:12:05 AM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)  #    Comments [14] Trackback
# Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Snowball Fight at the Top of the World (17,400')

We all made it and are feeling great. Summited Kala Patar at 18, 500' and went to Base Camp (17,400'). Spent three days and two nights at Everest Base Camp. Before we left, out last morning we had 6 inches of new snow and the sherpas (16 of them!) attacked us in a snowball fight, it was not pretty.

Internet sucks, so more detals later in the week...

posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 5:50:36 AM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)  #    Comments [2] Trackback
# Friday, September 5, 2003

Rest day at Namche Bizarre (11,500')

We arrived yesterday at the sherpa village of Namche Bizarre and today is a rest day to deal with the altitude. Civilization, sort of, shower, internet (dial up speeds) and a warm bed to rest up for the push to base camp. Tomorrow we head to higher elevations well over 12,500' and eventually to 19,000' over the glaicer down to Base Camp (17,500') next week.

We did an early morning stroll to the outskirts of town to see the spactular mountaion views (photos to come when I get home) and got the first glimpse of Everest today, what a sight. We are still about 5 or 6 days out, depending on how strong we all are.

Wally got the permit to summit (at $60,000 US) for the climbers, so they are very excited it is a very special time, since we are the only expidition on the mountian with a summit permit. Since Wally has a permit, Kevin and I get to spend some significant time at Base Camp and witness the Sherpa Puja at the icefall on September 12th.


posted on Friday, September 5, 2003 5:01:24 AM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)  #    Comments [3] Trackback